Friday 26 December 2008

8. Choose a representative passage from the novel that hold significant to you. Type in and comment on its significance.

This was the part where Don was telling the Sawi about Jesus:

"At first I sat there confused. Then the realization broke through. They were acclaiming Judas as the hero of the story! Yes, Judas, the one whom I had portrayed as the satanically motivated enemy of truth and goodness." pg-151

Is Jesus the hero, or Judas? Satan or God? It is a game of perspectives! From the Sawi perspective Satan would be the hero. However from a Christian perspective God would be the savior. It astonishes me how cultural upbringing can meddle with one's point of view. It is as if two people were looking at exactly the same object and seeing different objects. But who is right or wrong? I would say that depends on the observer's perspective!

Also, this particular passage stands out to me the most because it reflects of the Sawi's point of view before they were Christian. Before they were Christians betrayal was a part of their culture. They practiced 'fattening with friendship' which is the ultimate betrayal possible. Basically they would invite a friend, make him comfortable and provide him with food. Meanwhile they would conspire ways to murder him. Personally I consider betrayal unforgivable. I think it is wrong to betray anyone who has trust in you. Honestly, what is the importance of trust if we were to betray everyone?

This part of the novel kept ringing back in my head. Gradually I realized why. This passage enhances the Sawi before they were transformed. As I reflect upon the end of the novel it shocks me because the Sawis' development exceeded my realm of imagination. It never occurred to me that God's love would take a monstrous tribe and mold them into individuals with purpose.


No comments: