Friday 5 December 2008

4.What concepts in the Sawi culture intrigued / reviled / saddened / angered / surprised you?


When I read about the practice of cannibalism my eyes widened(literally) and I visualized very disturbing events in my head. I had always limited my thoughts to the fact that stealing a person's life was unethical. However through the contents of 'Peace Child' cannibalism successfully provided a new 'panorama' in my mind's eye. Previously I thought "What can be worse that killing a person?" was a rhetorical question. ("Killing a person and EATING them?!#$??"). Personally I think that it is crucial to inquire and analyze cannibalism, instead of underestimating its practice due to our prejudices. I hope I accomplish that through this post.

The concept of cannibalism intrigued, reviled, saddened, angered and surprised me the most. It was interest that drove me to move my lazy fingers and research the topic. Basically cannibalism is used as a weapon to show that one has completely devastated another to their flesh and bone.

A certain group of Hindus called Aghoris practice cannibalistic traditions in India. They fish for corpses in the Ganges (the 'holy river of India where dead bodies are dumped) and feed on the raw dead flesh. They define themselves as followers of 'Shiva'. They claim to be scientists trying to discover how matter converts from one form to another. It astonishes me that cannibalistic tribes exist in MY COUNTRY, (I was completely oblivious to this until I researched) and here I was critiquing the Sawi.

[this is an image of an Aghoris drinking from a skull]

Another circumstance where cannibalism takes place is when humans discover themselves in crisis of food. During World War two, the Japanese troops ate dead bodies because their food ran out. Today, in North Korea people cannibalize due to lack of food.

Now comes part where I question my wits, and ask myself, if cannibalism is vice. As Samuel Butler said, "Cannibalism is moral in a cannibal country." Since I am not a citizen of a cannibal country, I am going to cling to my prejudices and conclude that Cannibalism is immoral. However I think that when a person is famished, cannibalism can be expected. When a person realizes that they will die, (due to lack of food) they make their ultimate attempt to survive. For example: If two friends are living without food over a long period of time, and one dies, the other KNOWS that he will too. So, he decides to feed himself the only source of food that lies before him. If it was me I would just die instead of 'living off' the other person. But maybe I am saying that now because I have never been in that situation. (OK, I am scaring myself)

How can I judge a situation when it is a question of cannibalism for survival?

As I was researching this quote struck out to me by Stanislaw Lec who inquires, "Is it a progress if a Cannibal uses a fork?" (Inside they will always know they were a cannibal).
I think that it is a progress in a way. Even though you have 'sinned' in the past, the future awaits for a change. This reminds me of one of my close friends who had a difficult past, made wrong choices but became Christian after coming to TCIS, and changed magnificently.

I think I bounced off to different tangents while writing this entry so l am going to try to sew up my final thoughts through the next few sentences. Cannibalism is unethical. (Unless it is a matter of starvation). Cannibalism takes place today (How can we socialize about the Sawi? LOOK AROUND). Change can be brought, and if every 'cannibal eats with a fork', the human race has made some progress.
*here is something that made me laugh when I was writing my blog: Danika: "I am cannibalistic because I bite my lips"

3 comments:

D@n!kA said...

I laughed when I read "It was interest that drove me to move my lazy fingers and research the topic. " because I actually saw the whole process and it wasnt 'normal Pritha'. The tribe in India is a bit scary because I did not know about that earlier...About the if there are two people would you eat your friend thing I do not know what I would do but I know that I would not eat the friend because I would be without food all over again once I ate the friend so what was the use of eating my friend... ok now i know what you mean by you were freaking your self out hehe... I was going to say I love you because you did not put my stupid comment but no I do not because you put it as if it was the 'best for the last' or something >_<

African Globe Trotters. said...

Superb post. The research is so interesting. I am glad that you dealt with this topic and concept so maturely. You have presented a balance and sensible approach to a concept which is immoral and evil. Great job. Mrs.Mc.

Davidoo said...

Whiile reading your post, I found myself pondering upon a question. How can we justify that cannibalism is unethical when we, people of the modern society, do things a lot worse than cannibalism in the name of justice? Anyways, I was very shocked when I heard that the Sawies highly value cannibalism too. It was an interesting post!!